An internship is typically work experience that is career-related. Internships can be paid or unpaid, part-time or full-time, and can take place off-campus or on-campus. Summer internships are the most popular, but some students intern during the fall and spring semesters.
Why complete an internship?
Internships offer a way to try a career and gain exposure in your field of interest while in college. Many students have a hard time choosing between different career options, and an internship is a way to help you decide if you will like a career.
Internships allow you to gain relevant experience and skills. Having an internship that is related to your career path can often count as “years of experience” when you apply for a job. You will stand out from other candidates because you will probably need less training than someone without any internship experience.
Networking is still the number one way people obtain jobs. By completing an internship in your field, you will meet people that can give you advice and assistance when you graduate.
Log in to ePACK to search for internships and jobs, post your resume, and find employers that may offer the type of internship you are looking for.
Other Internship Sites
- US Environmental Protection Agency – Internships, fellowships, and student programs
- Global Service Corps – Volunteer abroad to work, teach, and learn about projects in developing countries
- Idealist.org – Search for Internships & volunteer opportunities with service and nonprofit organizations
- InternWeb – Search for internships and sign up for free newsletter
- Monstertrak – A variety of internship and entry-level job opportunities
- National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences – Summers of Discovery Program for students
- National Science Foundation – Database of undergraduate research opportunities in science
- NC State Government Internship Program – Paid internships in state government for all majors
- NC State Co-op Office – Enroll in alternating semesters of full-time study and full-time employment
- NCSU Field Laboratories – Links to all NCSU field labs and employment applications
- The Student Conservation Association – Exciting internship opportunities related to environmental conservation
- USDA Poultry Programs– Student Career Experience Program
- Walt Disney World Professional Internships – Information about science-related internships including opportunities in the Animal Kingdom (animal related) and Epcot Center (life science related)
- Packlink – an online tool for connecting students to find on-campus projects and gain real world experience