Study Abroad

CALS offers many international study opportunities through individual faculty members, the NC State’s Study Abroad Office and other partners. You can study for a week, a summer, a semester, or an academic year at places all around the world. Recent student exchange opportunities include
  • Spend a semester at University of Adelaide in Australia taking agriculture, life science or veterinary courses while paying NC State tuition and fees.
  • A summer program for veterinary students interested in wildlife medicine is available at famous African game parks through Makerere University in Uganda.

Would you like to immerse yourself in a different culture while taking courses or participating in important research? Basic Info:

  1. Visit the Study Abroad website. Research the programs, then visit with your academic advisor to discuss what might suit your long-term plans.
  2. Attend a general advising session (required). Then make an appointment with a study abroad adviser to go over the program(s) you and your academic advisor have discussed.
  3. Select a study abroad program and host institution
  4. Collect course descriptions and syllabi (where available) for all courses you are considering taking. Gather info on double the courses you plan to take to cover any potential availability or scheduling problems at your host institution.
    Use the Transfer Equivalency Database to see it the courses have been evaluated for transfer credit.
  5. Take your course descriptions and the Study Abroad Course Pre-Approval form to your advisor. They should complete the top portion of the form only.
  6. Take the forms to Robin Clements in 111 Patterson Hall to complete the GEP (bottom half of form) and college approval form. You do not need to meet with the college approver for approval. If you have an academic minor and plan to take courses that will apply to that minor, please get minor course approval from your minor advisor prior to dropping off paperwork with the college approver.
    Please note the approval process can take up to 3 weeks to complete. Plan ahead!
  7. Once complete, take the approval form back to the SAO for final instruction prior to leaving for your trip.


  • Undergraduate students must receive the equivalent of a C- or better to receive transfer credit. Courses cannot be taken pass/fail

Study Abroad Office

CALS Office of International Programs